This week is world adult immunisation week. So a good week to focus our #fridayfive on the issue of pneumonia.
A new study has revealed that across Europe:
- 8 out of 10 older adults at higher risk of pneumonia report they are not vaccinated against it
- Despite 70% of 9,029 older adults surveyed being at higher risk of catching pneumonia, only 16% have been vaccinated
- In Europe there are an estimated 3 million cases of pneumonia each year, of which an estimated one million are hospitalised
- Only 3 out of 10 older adults are aware that pneumonia vaccines exist
- Almost three times as many people report being regularly vaccinated against flu than receiving a vaccine against pneumonia, which is a more deadly disease
Also see ILC-UK’s EU adult immunisation website at http://www.adultimmunisation.eu/